- Sit seaside and sip a cocktail- Whether it is in a beach bar with a view of the sea or on the beach in a lounger, it is the thing to do!
- Enjoy a Frappe-A cold instant coffee drink that is refreshing. Order it sweetened to your taste, and with a splash of milk if you like.
- Swim like a Greek-Many Greeks do not thrash around in the sea, doing back and forth laps. Don a hat and sunglasses and just soak in the water, bobbing up and down. A long soak is thought to be good for the skin and bones and doctors in Greece prescribe swims by the number.
- Eat an all appetizer meal- You can get your table loaded with a bunch of appetizers to try. Order the ones you like again and make it a meal.
- Calamari- You know you can get it breaded and fried. But if you come across a place that also has Thrapsalo (a type of larger calamari) ask for it to be grilled-yummy!
- Enjoy fried potatoes. Please do not call them ‘french fries” in Greece. These are Greek potatoes and Greek is in the kitchen making them-no french involved :)
- Try the best ‘fast food’ there is, souvlaki. Traditionally this is pita bread wrapped around meat, with tzatziki, tomato, and onion, with a little salt and pepper sprinkled on. Nowadays you can get them with different meat (chicken) and other condiments, but they are still simply the best with a cold beer and fried potatoes. You can even get them vegetarian and they will put fries in place of the meat. Really good!
- Ferries. One of the best ways to enjoy going from island to island is by slow ferry. The arrival at small islands is especially great and you can enjoy the endless blue sea and sky while you sail along.
- Eat breakfast like a Greek. Line up nice and early and get a fresh cheese pie or spanakopita right out of the oven. Eat it on the move or find an out of the way spot to munch it like a pro.
- Drink tsipouro, raki, or ouzo- famous distilled drinks that should be sipped and respected :)
As seen on-
Click here to read these articles
The Olive Odysseys
46 Shopping Plaza
Drive # 107
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
A member of the
American Society of Travel Advisors